About this Wiki[edit source]
Welcome to the Vintage Sewing Pattern Wikia! We are working to create one location online where people can go to browse through vintage patterns starting from the year 1996 and older and share information about them, including:
- Links to sellers who have particular patterns in stock
- Reviews by people who have made the patterns (share photos!)
- Links to blog posts about particular patterns
- Wishlist of people who want to buy or trade particular patterns
- Searchable 'categories' on patterns (like 'cocktail', 'wrap dress', 'peter pan collar' or whatever)
PLEASE only create articles for Retro, OUT OF PRINT patterns: 25 years or older!
Vintage Sewing Pattern Vendors (for Images & Patterns)[edit source]
Some Vintage Pattern Vendors allow their images to be used in this wiki. Please thank these sellers by linking to the pattern they have for sale when you use one of their images. Below is a link to the list of sellers who have been kind enough to allow us to use their images. Otherwise, use only your own pattern images, do not use images from the pattern companies websites, even the 'retro' or 'vintage' styles -- those patterns are still in print!
Tips and Rules for Creating a Pattern[edit source]
- Vintage Only!
Please only create new pattern articles for Vintage, OUT OF PRINT patterns: 25 years or older! Be sure to use only your own pattern images (that you scanned or photographed) or from the list of Vintage Pattern Vendors who have given permission.
- Posting a Pattern: Measure Twice, Cut Once
- Be sure to check that you're submitting a new pattern page. With over 99,000 vintage patterns already listed, it may already be there! Give a search to check before posting it and be sure to check your spelling and typing. For example, if you search for "McCalls 3602", it won't find "McCall's 3602", even though it is the same pattern. We then have a duplicate that will probably never be noticed.
- Start from the Create button on the Main_Page.
- When adding a new pattern that has a number used by an older or newer pattern (numbers were re-used throughout the decades), add a space and a capital letter to differentiate, starting with A. No descriptions or dates in titles (unless there is no pattern number).
- Please follow the established formatting and page layouts. You can copy the basic layout for a page here Basic Page Format (copy in Source).
- When starting a page, include at least a pattern picture, dating (estimate is acceptable) and brief description, plus the formatting. Please use the actual, original pattern description whenever possible.
- Vendor Linking Rule #1
If you have a pattern for sale, list it under the "Sources/Vendors" on the specific pattern page. Be sure to link directly to the pattern sale page (not to the front page, category or other pages). Just a link with your vendor name, no sales language and no pricing.
- Vendor Linking Rule #2
If there is already one or more sources listed for a particular pattern, add your link to the bottom of the list as a common courtesy to your fellow Wiki users. Also, please do not use bold type, all caps, etc. - it will only make you stand out in a negative way (and will be removed).
- Vendor Linking Rule #3
Once your pattern sells, don't forget to come back and remove the link from the page. The wiki admins will try to keep this cleaned up, but it's a lot of things to check up on. By removing these links, we keep our wiki active and accurate.
- Blogs need to be on topic for this wiki.
- Blogs cannot be used for advertising.
If you have any questions, please contact one of the admins on the wikia. Tarna and Petite Main would be happy to answer any and all of your questions. Please allow a few days for them to get back to you!